Filed under: BizTechNews,Money Makers |

Two things that tend to affect our brains in the same way are money and sex.  They are also two things that can get us into the most trouble.  So, as a Finance Professor, I thought I would explain five reasons why Financial education is at least as important than sex education and why they should both be taught in high school.

1) Because its relevant: We teach our kids the birds and the bees (sometimes), have them reading old English textbooks that they don’t understand and force them to learn at least 5,000 things that they will never use for the rest of their lives.  If we are teaching all of this semi-worthless nonsense, why not teach a child to balance a check book too?

2) Because we think about both nearly every single day for the rest of our adult life:  I bet you that you’ve thought about sex at least 20 times today and thought about money at least 10.  Unless you’re broke, in which case, it might be the reverse.

3) Because they relate to one another in more ways than you can imagine:  A man who doesn’t have his money right isn’t exactly going to be in good standing with his significant other.  When I wrote the book, “Financial Lovemaking,” I recall interviewing dozens of women and being absolutely fascinated by how many of them would talk about their husband’s financial inadequacies more than anything else.  It was almost as if they’d rather have had him cheat with another woman, as long as the bills were paid.

4) Because both of them open the door for us to get screwed by other people:   The easiest way to ruin your life is to let an important part of your life be controlled by an irresponsible person.  That goes for both your body or your bank account.  I can’t tell you how many emails I’ve received from people who’ve been financially devastated by their relationship choices.  You don’t want to join that club.

5) Because managing both in an intelligent way can lead to a tremendous amount of bliss:  There’s nothing better than being able to say, “I’ve got plenty of money in my bank account, and my sex life is outstanding.”  In fact, the status of your bank account might impact your sex life, but that’s neither here nor there.

Either way, the management of your money and your personal life can impact your happiness in more ways than one, so it might make sense for our kids to be fully educated on both.  Black kids in particular need to be taught a) how to save, b) how to own things, c) how to earn money from multiple sources, and d) the importance of education in protecting their financial future.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Finance Professor at Syracuse University and author of the book, “Financial Lovemaking 101: Merging Assets with Your Partner in Ways that Feel Good.” To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

Comments

comments

8 Responses to Five Reasons Why Financial Education is More Important than S*x Education in Public Schools

1. Have any of you seen $ave-depo$it-inve$t, an app at itunes.apple.com, for children to start saving early in life in order to be prosperous in the future?

Spread the word on this sister.

Odessa Cleveland
    July 16, 2012 at 11:25 pm

2. Yes this should’ve been addressed long ago, I forget the exact numbers but the number of schools that have mandatory sex Ed is like 30 something states & financial wdu is like 3 states!

Mrs Brown
    July 17, 2012 at 1:25 am

3. Nonetheless thanks for bringing awareness!

Mrs Brown
    July 17, 2012 at 1:28 am

4. Sound good -however .
    -I just can’t phantom America as capitalist as it is educating public school youth to be aware of the power of a dollar. Who then shall be the wasteful spenders of money they don’t have. That will eliminate those who will kill for a pair of the latest Michael Jordan sneakers- which will lower the crime rate – which would cause the unemployment of the penal system employees to sky rocket. Imagine if we were educated about finances- especially in my community,or any other urban community in America; the law enforcement corporation would rebel against the civil behavior of the community-in which they look forward to some of the urban dwellers to commit crimes in order to acquire finances to live up to the consumer hype that has been embedded in them from the cradle. Also, the housing,car,and banking institutes would be up in arms because they couldn’t charge higher interest rates in my community.

Boycott Christmas 2012

Phillip Battle
    July 17, 2012 at 10:47 pm

5. I must point out my admiration for your kindness for those people that really want help with this area. Your very own dedication to passing the solution across became extremely helpful and has constantly allowed people like me to achieve their dreams. Your amazing warm and friendly publication implies so much a person like me and even further to my colleagues. Best wishes; from all of us. Coach Factory http://www.benetlake.org/coach.html

Coach Factory
    April 10, 2013 at 3:56 am

6. Hi, I just wanted to tell you, you’re wrong. Your point doesn’t make any sense.

Cheap Air Jordans
    April 10, 2013 at 4:00 am

7. Needed to create you that little bit of observation in order to thank you yet again with your pleasant techniques you have shown on this page. This has been simply remarkably open-handed with you to deliver easily exactly what many people would’ve marketed as an e-book to help with making some dough on their own, and in particular considering the fact that you could have done it if you desired. Those ideas in addition served to provide a fantastic way to fully grasp that most people have a similar dream really like mine to figure out whole lot more related to this problem. I’m certain there are lots of more enjoyable periods up front for those who browse through your website.

Cheap Air Jordans
    April 10, 2013 at 4:00 am

8. Mitsamt welche Gärung auch die der Hanglage kommt es bei
    dem Hugo Sekt gut Hugo Cocktail Mosel an. Corder ausfindig gemacht hat, hat sich auch in
    Italien jetzt wieder. Dezember 2010 – Die Mitgliedstaaten der Europäischen Union haben sich
    in Brüssel auf ganz neue Kennzeichnungsvorschriften fuer Hugo Sekt geeinigt.

ori-rodak.pl