Filed under: BizTechNews,Money Makers |

Two things that tend to affect our brains in the same way are money and sex.  They are also two things that can get us into the most trouble.  So, as a Finance Professor, I thought I would explain five reasons why Financial education is at least as important than sex education and why they should both be taught in high school.

1) Because its relevant: We teach our kids the birds and the bees (sometimes), have them reading old English textbooks that they don’t understand and force them to learn at least 5,000 things that they will never use for the rest of their lives.  If we are teaching all of this semi-worthless nonsense, why not teach a child to balance a check book too?

2) Because we think about both nearly every single day for the rest of our adult life:  I bet you that you’ve thought about sex at least 20 times today and thought about money at least 10.  Unless you’re broke, in which case, it might be the reverse.

3) Because they relate to one another in more ways than you can imagine:  A man who doesn’t have his money right isn’t exactly going to be in good standing with his significant other.  When I wrote the book, “Financial Lovemaking,” I recall interviewing dozens of women and being absolutely fascinated by how many of them would talk about their husband’s financial inadequacies more than anything else.  It was almost as if they’d rather have had him cheat with another woman, as long as the bills were paid.

4) Because both of them open the door for us to get screwed by other people:   The easiest way to ruin your life is to let an important part of your life be controlled by an irresponsible person.  That goes for both your body or your bank account.  I can’t tell you how many emails I’ve received from people who’ve been financially devastated by their relationship choices.  You don’t want to join that club.

5) Because managing both in an intelligent way can lead to a tremendous amount of bliss:  There’s nothing better than being able to say, “I’ve got plenty of money in my bank account, and my sex life is outstanding.”  In fact, the status of your bank account might impact your sex life, but that’s neither here nor there.

Either way, the management of your money and your personal life can impact your happiness in more ways than one, so it might make sense for our kids to be fully educated on both.  Black kids in particular need to be taught a) how to save, b) how to own things, c) how to earn money from multiple sources, and d) the importance of education in protecting their financial future.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Finance Professor at Syracuse University and author of the book, “Financial Lovemaking 101: Merging Assets with Your Partner in Ways that Feel Good.” To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

Comments

comments

23 Responses to Five Reasons Why Financial Education is More Important than S*x Education in Public Schools

1. Have any of you seen $ave-depo$it-inve$t, an app at itunes.apple.com, for children to start saving early in life in order to be prosperous in the future?

Spread the word on this sister.

Odessa Cleveland
    July 16, 2012 at 11:25 pm

2. Yes this should’ve been addressed long ago, I forget the exact numbers but the number of schools that have mandatory sex Ed is like 30 something states & financial wdu is like 3 states!

Mrs Brown
    July 17, 2012 at 1:25 am

3. Nonetheless thanks for bringing awareness!

Mrs Brown
    July 17, 2012 at 1:28 am

4. Sound good -however .
    -I just can’t phantom America as capitalist as it is educating public school youth to be aware of the power of a dollar. Who then shall be the wasteful spenders of money they don’t have. That will eliminate those who will kill for a pair of the latest Michael Jordan sneakers- which will lower the crime rate – which would cause the unemployment of the penal system employees to sky rocket. Imagine if we were educated about finances- especially in my community,or any other urban community in America; the law enforcement corporation would rebel against the civil behavior of the community-in which they look forward to some of the urban dwellers to commit crimes in order to acquire finances to live up to the consumer hype that has been embedded in them from the cradle. Also, the housing,car,and banking institutes would be up in arms because they couldn’t charge higher interest rates in my community.

Boycott Christmas 2012

Phillip Battle
    July 17, 2012 at 10:47 pm

5. I must point out my admiration for your kindness for those people that really want help with this area. Your very own dedication to passing the solution across became extremely helpful and has constantly allowed people like me to achieve their dreams. Your amazing warm and friendly publication implies so much a person like me and even further to my colleagues. Best wishes; from all of us. Coach Factory http://www.benetlake.org/coach.html

Coach Factory
    April 10, 2013 at 3:56 am

6. Hi, I just wanted to tell you, you’re wrong. Your point doesn’t make any sense.

Cheap Air Jordans
    April 10, 2013 at 4:00 am

7. Needed to create you that little bit of observation in order to thank you yet again with your pleasant techniques you have shown on this page. This has been simply remarkably open-handed with you to deliver easily exactly what many people would’ve marketed as an e-book to help with making some dough on their own, and in particular considering the fact that you could have done it if you desired. Those ideas in addition served to provide a fantastic way to fully grasp that most people have a similar dream really like mine to figure out whole lot more related to this problem. I’m certain there are lots of more enjoyable periods up front for those who browse through your website.

Cheap Air Jordans
    April 10, 2013 at 4:00 am

8. Mitsamt welche Gärung auch die der Hanglage kommt es bei
    dem Hugo Sekt gut Hugo Cocktail Mosel an. Corder ausfindig gemacht hat, hat sich auch in
    Italien jetzt wieder. Dezember 2010 – Die Mitgliedstaaten der Europäischen Union haben sich
    in Brüssel auf ganz neue Kennzeichnungsvorschriften fuer Hugo Sekt geeinigt.

ori-rodak.pl
    October 19, 2013 at 9:23 am

9. great issues altogether, you just gained a new reader. What could you suggest
    in regards to your post that you simply made a few days in the past?
    Any positive?

Hogan Progetto Donna
    June 29, 2014 at 7:11 am

10. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into
    starting my own blog and was curious what all
    is needed to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost
    a pretty penny? I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% certain. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Kudos

cheap nike air max 90
    June 29, 2014 at 11:48 am

11. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at
    this web site is truly good.

nike air max
    July 1, 2014 at 3:30 pm

12. Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this web site before but after browsing through some of the posts I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyhow, I’m certainly pleased I stumbled upon it
    and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back regularly!

ncaa snapbacks
    July 1, 2014 at 10:26 pm

13. I just could not leave your web site prior to suggesting
    that I actually loved the standard info a person provide for your visitors?
    Is gonna be again steadily in order to investigate cross-check new posts

Gary
    July 12, 2014 at 11:53 pm

14. 24Option paid among 70 and 85 % in the money possibilities .
    Typically, the a lot more lively liquid , the
    increased the payment. For a currency pair like EUR /
    USD , you can get the reward of eighty five % for alternatives that expire in the income.
    With options for sixty seconds , you can make a earnings of 70 % – not poor for a minute, is not it?

It is not attainable to explain all payments in this assessment ,
    they will change over time , new belongings are introduced etc.
    You need to just take a look at your payments prior to your employment .
    All winnings will be visible on the investing system
    , not only in monetary payments but also payments of money .

Deposit, withdraw and deposit minimal

Minimum deposit is $ 250 24Option if you make your deposit by credit card
    or online payment as Skrill (formerly Moneybookers ) or Liberty
    Reserve. If you want to deposit by bank transfer , the least payment is $ one,000.

When you make your 1st withdrawal , you need to confirm
    your identity . You can down load on-line with a scan of your id
    and proof of tackle ( utility bill , for illustration) .
    You should make a cash withdrawal for the payment choice you selected for your deposit .
    This treatment is an anti – money laundering acknowledge it and you will do it with all other brokers as properly.

You can also remove quite small amounts like $ 10 . The money withdrawal every thirty day period is free of charge .
    For extra surveys , there is a charge of $ 30 .

Client Assist

There is an in depth FAQ area that will be answered almost every issue .

If you do not find the solution to your issue , you can contact
    24Option by ” stay chat ” or electronic mail . We
    advocate that you use their ” dwell chat ” simply because it
    is the fastest and most efficient way to get in touch with them

24option
    July 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm

15. hello!,I like your writing so so much! proportion we communicate extra approximately your post on AOL?

I require an expert on this area to resolve my problem.
    Maybe that is you! Taking a look ahead to peer you.

SEO Link Building
    July 14, 2014 at 6:39 pm

16. Hello, I enjoy reading through your article. I like
    to write a little comment to support you.

jeux casino en ligne
    July 14, 2014 at 7:49 pm

17. There is certainly a lot to learn about this subject.
    I love all of the points you have made.

finbanker.net
    July 14, 2014 at 10:00 pm

18. I am really grateful to the owner of this site who has shared this wonderful paragraph at at this place.

orlando home inspection
    July 15, 2014 at 2:33 am

19. Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog site?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny
    bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

youtube.com
    July 15, 2014 at 7:37 am

20. It acts as a wall between your system and the outside world, protecting your system from getting unwanted connections that might corrupt, or
    even take control of, your system. While some of them don’t remove viruses they can detect them, so
    if you have omitted to install anti-virus protection on your computer,
    you can use these tools to identify any threats and take action based on the results.
    Contactless smart cards come in various types and
    are used for various purposes.

sandboxie crack
    July 15, 2014 at 1:10 pm

21. Todays online college courses look nothing like they did even a couple of years ago.
    e – Learners is a proficient online portal of Education – Dynamics whose purpose is to direct interested
    students especially mothers to provide education with the help of online universities and colleges like Walden University, Ashford University,
    De – Vry University, Ashworth College and so on. Environmental
    clues, such as looking at yourself and seeing that you’re in a prison-esque orange
    jumper, provide much of the context, but it is Gla – Dos who
    pushes you forward.

Ashford University
    July 15, 2014 at 2:20 pm

22. The 4.0, by comparison, has an independent tongue and a less compressive upper.
    The two-piece construction allows Nike to pay close attention to the heel of the shoe, giving
    it a thicker knit for a more stable hold on the foot.
    The 4.0 will feature a 6-mm drop and is expected to weigh 7.7 ounces.

Anonymous
    July 15, 2014 at 10:54 pm

23. DVT’s in and of themselves are generally not
    dangerous and will often resolve on their own. Hopefully, insurance companies will
    soon realize that taking one or two prescription gel caps once a week is certainly much easier than taking 125 or 250
    over-the-counter vitamin D supplements all at once. Cells which need a lot of energy, such as heart cells, are most sensitive
    to this depletion.