High Schooler Suspended, Gave Noose & KKK Symbol To Black Classmate

Filed under: Really Hot |

noose

Ayvaunn Penn, Your Black World

Racism is never a laughing matter, but apparently some students of Wisconsin’s Baldwin-Woodville High School think it is. A number of classmates do not understand why an unnamed white male ninth-grade student had to be suspended for placing a KKK symbol and macramé noose on a black student’s desk while in art class. The 15-year-old victim is also unnamed. The foster mother of the victim, Sarah Hitzeman, told Star Tribune that her daughter “has been experiencing racial comments since [she] join[ed] [her] family her eighth-grade year. Her freshman year started out with students calling her ‘Big Mocha’ and making fun of her hair and breasts.” This act, however, crosses the line.

The school principal, Eric Russell, and other school administrators were simply going to suspended the boy for a single day, and leave it at that. Although the student was suspended on December 14th, 2012, further reprimands were set in place after an NAACP representative initiated communications with the school on Hitzeman’s behalf. According to the mother, her daughter was being ostracized and taunted by fellow students who believe she overreacted to the prank. To this, the mother says, “To have a school that has no tolerance for bullying but a lot of tolerance for racial issues isn’t right. I want my daughter to understand this isn’t okay, and she doesn’t have to accept it.”

Russel informed Star Tribune that he appointed a stricter suspension that went into effect at the start of Christmas break, yet he did not disclose any further details concerning the duration of the punishment. He did, however, go on record saying that the male student’s actions were “absolutely not acceptable.”

The founder of The Penn Speaks and Your Black PoetsAyvaunn Penn is an award-winning writer pursuing her graduate degrees in dramatic writing and acting. To follow her on Facebookclick here. To have Ayvaunn Penn feature your original poetry on Your Black Poets, click here.

Comments

comments

28 Responses to High Schooler Suspended, Gave Noose & KKK Symbol To Black Classmate

1. Good and he should’ve known better at 14 in 2013.

Miss T
    January 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm

2. A worst thing happen at Westminster High School whewe my grand daughter attends,on 12/23/12 a cross was burned at her home in in Westminster ,MD….I am waiting to see what happens,you may qoogle “Westminster ,MD. Cross Burning” for further Info

John H Taylor
    January 4, 2013 at 7:38 pm

3. Cross buring on the premises of your grand daughter in this day and age and we are not doing anything about this. Hey world….wake up. This is unbelieveable. We need to have more details about this, then find the culprit(s) and press the necessary charges. We cannot allow our children to live in a world of fear and to feel unequal to others. Gone are the days of Black Panthers, Black Power, Malcom X, Martin Luther King, Stockley Carmichael movements who brought awareness to these situations and made a difference. Rosa Park – one lady, brought about radical changes —- we can still do it— we need to be heard.
    Collectively through education, which begins at home, we all will make a difference, since we all are equal in God’s eyes. We need to provide a comfortable living environment for our young people — free from such fearful racists experiences especially in these modern times. Peace in 2013

Consuelo
    January 4, 2013 at 10:19 pm

4. They called her Big Mocha and made fun of her hair and breasts…what did this foster mother think would happen next???why did she keep her in this school?whyy is she still in this school?because even when these kids clearly show they are bigots this woman still thinks being around whites is still better than sending her somewhere with black kids

Latrice
    January 4, 2013 at 11:48 pm

5. IT still comes down to, (white skin–white privilege.) unfortunately white people can not take what they dish out. It is time to change the school system. EVERY SCHOOL MUST HAVE 1/8 OF ALMOST ALL RACES IN ALL PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN THE US THAT WAY IT may PUT A STOP TO THIS FOOLISHNESS. Children have to get to know other cultures, maybe this can be a start. Children know only what they have been taught.

BERNICE
    January 5, 2013 at 12:45 am

6. Oh lawdy lawdy! Dat am racist!!! Good Googly Moogly.

Bitter Silverback
    January 6, 2013 at 11:17 am

7. I have just come back again from functioning in China.
    I observed many items that contrasted drastically to my peaceful
    NZ. My globe prior to visiting China was an illusion (not that
    i am stating which i see the planet that considerably clearer now lol..).From a length it is straightforward to criticize the routine in China.
    I am able to think of thousands of instances where condemnation
    is due. To temper this one have to do somewhat questioning of
    what one particular believes (ask why and so on). Idealism is vital but
    it must be tempered with reality. Even a quick go to to China will impress upon you the
    issues the nation faces. I question any other nation
    on earth has even faced these types of pressures.

My web page – 2 girls teach sex shawna lenee

2 girls teach sex shawna lenee
    April 8, 2014 at 5:24 pm

8. He is? distracting me from my education at this time :
    P Ironic!

Feel free to surf to my web-site: 60 minute stamina download

60 minute stamina download
    April 27, 2014 at 12:58 am

9. This is the proper weblog for everybody who wishes to be familiar with this subject. You’re aware of an excellent deal of its virtually tricky to argue to you (not too I personally would want…HaHa). You truly put a new spin using a topic thats been written about for numerous years. Amazing stuff, just excellent!
    Fake Oakley Lifestyle
    [url=http://sporting-dog.com/oakley.php?pid=5208]Fake Oakley Lifestyle[/url]

Fake Oakley Lifestyle
    June 30, 2014 at 5:00 am

10. You will find some interesting cut-off dates on this write-up but I don know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity nevertheless I will take sustain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want extra! Added to FeedBurner as effectively
    Prix D Un Porte Document Longchamp
    [url=http://www.lesetoilesdusport.com/fr/longchamp.php?pid=314]Prix D Un Porte Document Longchamp[/url]

Prix D Un Porte Document Longchamp
    June 30, 2014 at 5:01 am

11. annual startrak reappraisal carteloise nusic predictable griffon leilani airway
    Tiffany Heart Necklace Authentic

Tiffany Heart Necklace Authentic
    July 1, 2014 at 9:45 am

12. Solid post, nice work. It Couldnt be written any improved. Reading this post reminds me of my previous boss! He always kept babbling about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a superb read. Thanks for sharing!
    Longchamps Prix Sac Pliage

Longchamps Prix Sac Pliage
    July 1, 2014 at 9:45 am

13. IMHO you’ve got the right anerws!

Bonner
    July 5, 2014 at 7:40 pm

14. Why do I bother calling up people when I can just read this!

maintains
    July 12, 2014 at 6:27 am

15. I love reading these articles because they’re short but informative.

enzyme keeps
    July 12, 2014 at 7:11 pm

16. Reading this makes my decisions easier than taking candy from a baby.

well each
    July 13, 2014 at 1:34 am

17. Your’s is a point of view where real intelligence shines through.

auto insurance quote
    July 13, 2014 at 9:46 pm

18. Wham bam thank you, ma’am, my questions are answered!

yourself where
    July 13, 2014 at 11:53 pm

19. I’m not worthy to be in the same forum. ROTFL

car insurance
    July 14, 2014 at 12:45 am

20. Please teach the rest of these internet hooligans how to write and research!

insurance quotes auto
    July 14, 2014 at 4:46 am

21. Way to go on this essay, helped a ton.

appliances through
    July 14, 2014 at 10:56 am

22. I was so confused about what to buy, but this makes it understandable.

car insurance quotes
    July 14, 2014 at 4:44 pm

23. I can’t believe I’ve been going for years without knowing that.

thicker firmer
    July 15, 2014 at 6:54 am

24. Please keep throwing these posts up they help tons.

auto insurance quote
    July 15, 2014 at 2:42 pm

25. Hats off to whoever wrote this up and posted it.

insurance auto
    July 15, 2014 at 7:18 pm

26. You’ve really helped me understand the issues. Thanks.

auto insurance
    July 16, 2014 at 4:23 am

27. Phenomenal breakdown of the topic, you should write for me too!

cheap auto insurance
    July 16, 2014 at 9:08 pm

28. That’s really shrewd! Good to see the logic set out so well.

auto insurance quote